You won’t believe this, but I’m writing this blog update
from the kitchen table of my parents’ house! I walked home! 2,000 miles. My
parents picked up Focus and me near Santiam Pass on Friday evening and we’ve
spent the last 3 days on a long-awaited vacation from the trail. Delicious
food, lovely company, a soft bed, and everything we need to gear up for the
home stretch—what a treat. But let me back up a bit because Oregon has
continued to provide many an adventure that I want to share!
Back at base camp, I discovered that a chipmunk had chewed
through my tent and food bag, devouring 2 candy bars and a block of cheese that
I had stupidly left in my tent. Why? Because I was too lazy to hang my food
before climbing. So next time you’re just going to be away from your camp for a
few hours, remember this: chipmunks are punks.
That afternoon we logged another 13 PCT miles before calling
it a night. We had plans to meet my parents the following evening, and it was
still 41 miles from the base of South Sister. Time to fly! The next day we woke
up to blue bird skies and walked a glorious walk behind the South, Middle and
North Sisters volcanoes and Mt. Washington. I fell in love with the Three
Sisters Wilderness.
The final miles were excruciatingly slow ones in a Mars-like
setting of volcanic rock. My ankles trembled. My head spun. If it hadn’t been
for the trail magic chili and Gatorade provided by AT hiker Blue Fox at
McKenzie Pass, I may have had a little meltdown. That hit of spices and salt
pushed us the final miles, over the 2000 mile marker, and finally to my
parents’ waiting car! Actually, they came to find us on the trail and we all walked back to the car together. It was
a happy reunion. They even brought us pizza and beer to sustain us on the car ride
home.
The last three days have been: a family reunion in Portland
with the Johnson clan over a delicious vegetable-packed meal, a resupply
bonanza shopping trip to every grocery store in a 30 mile radius of Silverton
OR, amazing home-cooked meals on my parents’ new deck, card games into the
night, professional massages (thanks Uncle Paul, Aunt Linda, Mom & Dad!),
and afternoon naps. Couldn’t have asked for a better rest stop.
We are doing final preparations today and heading back out
to the trail this evening. Focus and I have all of our cold weather gear, a
bigger tent, and everything we need for the remaining 650 miles. We are
anticipating the fall weather, after getting a taste of it these last couple
weeks, and are just hoping that the snow abates until after October 10th.
Keep your fingers crossed for us!!
XO, Dance Party

Hey Kayla.. welcome back to the world!! It was great to spend a little time with you and the rest of the Johnson clan. Have a safe rest of your epic adventure.. we'll see you in November!! Mark
ReplyDelete