Sunday, April 28, 2013

It's actually happening!

It's finally happening! I'm on the Pacific Crest Scenic Trail, heading north towards Canada. I started with a 20 mile day on Thursday from the border with Mexico to Lake Morena State Park for the annual send off of PCT thru-hikers. Over 600 people gathered there for a weekend of workshops on topics related to long distance hiking, big meals and partying as the 2013 hiking season starts. It was great to meet so many other PCT hikers and share all of our thoughts, questions, fears, and ideas for life on the trail. I was also blown away by the generosity, love, and excitement shown by the greater log distance hiking community. People had flown in from all over to see us off and wish us a good journey.
I had my own personal trail fairies taking care of all of my last minute crises, too! Aunt Jacque & Aunt Judi shuttled me around, helped me work out an injury to my feet that was threatening to delay my departure, took me out to an amazing last dinner, woke me up with coffee on the big day, drove me to the border, and then met me at the park, 20 miles later with a picnic and cold beers. What a treat! And THEN they came to the rescue again when I realized my feet had swollen and my shoes were too small, driving me to the San Diego REI and back to get new shoes.
After the shoe fiasco I decided it was time to hit the trail again, so I left the Kick Off festivities last night after dinner and hiked along a ridge looking back over the lake through sunset. The weather was perfect, the air smelled like sage, and all was right with the world. We did a bit of night hiking and rolled in to our campsite around 10pm.
This morning was hot and we got on the trail a little later than expected (7:30am) so we ended up hiking in lots of sunshine. I've been hiking in a dress and loving how airy it is. I also made good use of my umbrella (thanks, mom!)
Now I'm in a campground near Mt. Laguna, mile 42 of the PCT and feeling really grateful for these last couple of days. It has been so nice to be finally HERE, doing this thing that I've thought about for so long.
I have much more to share: the people I've met, the flora & fauna of the desert, thoughts on my injury & the healing process, but my thumbs hurt! I'm writing this all on my cell phone. I'll try to send pictures when I get to Warner Springs on Friday.
Love to you all!

6 comments:

  1. Me alegra mucho que ya haya empezado tu camino! Seguire atentamente tu blog, ojala lo puedas actualizar seguido, ya que todos queremos saber que te encuentras bien. Un abrazo grande y toda la energia positiva hacia adelante.

    Nathalia.

    P.s. No se si vayas a leer esto, pero ya me salio la visa! Asi que ya es fijo que nos veremos cuando vuelvas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I am SO happy to read this and hear you got off from Lake Morena! Que te vayas bien chica! with love and huge hugs,
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES Kayla!! Way to go! So proud of you. AARRROOOOO!! whistle whistle. Keep up on the blog when you can - you've got followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ben! I read this on a pass in the desert and screamed AARROOOOOOOOO!!! into the wind. Thanks for the motivation!

      Delete
  4. Dirty toes....at last! and a night hike?! Sending a kiss for each night and a hug for the morning,mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. Good-o Kayla. Looking forward to further thumbed accounts.

    ReplyDelete