Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mile 91

We're in the thick of the desert now! Water is dictating our daily schedule. Last night we camped by a highway bridge with a cache of water underneath it for PCT hikers (despite the occasional car whizzing by, it was actually a cozy spot) and woke up this morning at 4:30 to make 24 miles to the next definitive water source.
We're resting now at mile 14 until the late afternoon when the sun is less intense, the shadows are long, and hiking doesn't feel like hell! 14 miles before 11am feels pretty nice. We will put in 10 more miles this evening and cross the 100 mile marker, Yahoo!
I'm loving this journey right now. I love the changing landscape, I love the uphill climbs, I love my sleeping bag and I love sleeping under the sky. I am hiking with a motly crew of strong, caring people: Boulder, Dr. Scooter, Dog, Sweet Tooth, Guy on a Buffalo, and Parker. Occasional appearances of Allan, Sensei, Lion Heart and Baby Face too. I met this crew a few days ago after feeling really lonely the previous evening and wondering if I'd find people that are "my people".

The desert has been beautiful. As we cross mountains the flora changes constantly. This morning we climbed into the most beautiful desert at sunrise. It looked like a garden: barrel cacti, ocotillo waving red flowers in the wind, flowering prickly pear, little clusters of pin cushion cacti in bloom, teddy bear cholla, agave shooting tall stalks into the sky, and many others that I don't know how to name. We were up early to put in the dry miles before the heat, but we couldn't help lingering for photos in that wonderland.

I'll be in town tomorrow, so pictures will come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment