Friday, May 31, 2013

Check in: Body, Heart, Mind & Gear

Okay, so we’re all aware by now that I’m not the most consistent blogger in the world. I’m going to try a new technique going forward, writing on paper and taking a picture of it to upload to my blog. If you guys can read my handwriting, it will work out well! For now, I’m sitting in the lobby of a Best Western in Tehachepi, CA and thought I’d give you an update on how everything’s holding up:

Water stop at a FS Fire Station
Body: Overall I’m feeling really strong. My calves are like steel and I’m becoming a pro hill climber. My limiting factor, though, continues to be my feet. I developed Achilles tendonosis in both legs before starting the trail, and have not recovered. Some days I feel like I’m walking on nails. I've also noticed that if I push beyond 22 miles in a day, my heels become extremely painful. It’s frustrating to feel strong in so many ways and be limited by this injury, but I’m learning a lot about listening to my body and taking everything in stride.
Mind: Perhaps the most profound realization that I've had in these first 500 miles is that I’m a pretty anxious, wound-up person. And walking is the BEST cure. I don’t think I was fully aware of how much stress and anxiety I carry on a daily basis until I started to spend my days walking it off. Maybe I was drawn to this trail because my body knew that I needed more physical exertion to reduce my anxiety level. If so, it is working. On zero days I get antsy to start walking again. And sure enough, as soon as I hit my stride my worries float into the wind.

Summit of Mt. Baden Powell at sunset
Heart: I get most of my energy from close personal relationships and I have been blessed to feel 100% loved and supported on this journey. My mom (World’s Best Package Person) and dad have been so consistently helpful and caring; I know that I couldn't be successful, or even have started this journey, without their support.  My aunts Judi and Jacque, as well as the rest of the extended family, have been taking care of my feet, my heart, and my cravings for junk food & beer (ha) at every town stop with care packages, therapeutic tape, letters and “mad money” for treats. Friends all over the country have sent letters, emails, and text messages that make me feel close, connected, and loved. My crew of traveling companions takes care of me on a daily basis: finding me when I get lost, offering coffee on cold mornings, inspiring laughter with their ridiculous antics, and taking the time to just enjoy this journey instead of pushing through each mile. And of course our Trail Angels have continued to surprise us with their seemingly unlimited generosity, showering us with love exactly when we need it most.
Some of you know that I’m working through a break-up right now. It hasn't been easy to process the loss of a significant relationship from this distance, but I feel really lucky to have so much love in my life during this transition.
This tree is 1500 years old.

Gear: My little home-in-a-backpack has been holding up remarkably well. I’m totally in love with my
sleeping set-up (15 degree sleeping bag & Neoair mattress) and have not experienced a single cold night. My cook system is working great: fuel holds out much longer than I expected, using a canister stove is just sooo dang easy, and the pot cozy that mom made me works like a dream to keep my dinners toasty. The only truly unfortunate gear mishap was the dramatic demise of my down jacket in a dryer yesterday. We did everything right: front loader, low heat, delicate cycle. Within 5 minutes my jacket had totally melted into a mess of feathers. There was no saving it. Huge holes, feathers floating around the laundry mat. Already tired and hungry, it took everything I had not to lay on the floor and throw a tantrum, ha. It’s nerve-wracking to be entering the High Sier
ras without my favorite, warmest layer. But, as usual, the trail provides us with exactly what we need. For the last couple days we had been hiking with Andrea, a really fun, thoughtful woman with such a generous spirit from Portland, OR who is hiking the PCT in sections during 2 weeks each summer (departing for home today). She was with us for the laundry disaster and offered her down jacket to me. What a kind heart, to offer your cozy jacket to someone who was a stranger not two days before. I was overwhelmed by the generosity. Thank you, Andrea!
Fitting 10 people and 9 big backpacks into this little truck.
We’re now less than 150 miles from the start of the Sierras and couldn’t be more excited for this second section of trail. The desert has treated us well, and I’ve developed so much respect for this landscape, but my heart is already in the mountains! This last stretch of desert is long, dry (many 20 miles stretches without water), super windy, and a bit more remote than most of southern CA. Wish us luck!


XO, Dance Party

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kayla. Hope you are out of desert by now. Sending chocolate when you are. My experience with Anna's spot in Japan is that chocolate is a winter package. On PCT, choco is more for mts and parts of Oregon, definitely not melting in Washington even in August. Pam

    ReplyDelete