Saturday, June 8, 2013

Kennedy Meadows: Gateway to the Sierras!

700 miles, baby!
Our first big section of the PCT is complete! We have crossed the 700 mile mark and the end of the long southern CA desert section- Woooooohooooooo! Do a little dance for me! Even as I write this I can hear hikers clinking beer bottles together outside saying, "we're out of the goddamn desert!"

Kennedy Meadows is a little outpost in the middle of....nowhere? It's all pine trees, sandy soil and sagebrush (so maybe we're not out of the desert just yet...). Town consists of a general store with a gigantic porch and lots of excited hikers. We're camped behind the store, beyond the outdoor showers, amongst the pines. Perfect spot for a rest day, and we earned it! 

I've actually spent most of the morning a little stressed out, though, trying to prepare for the next big thing. We're headed into the High Sierras! Some of my resupply hasn't arrived, including my maps for the Sierras and my heavy long underwear. Since we're going to be at over 14,000ft (climbing Mt. Whitney in 5 days) I am thinking very seriously about staying warm, dry, and not lost :) This is also the place where we have to start carrying bear canisters. The Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks require bear canisters in some areas, so we carry the 2.5lb canister for about 200 miles of our journey. Trying to fit the 7.5 days of food into this canister for the next stretch, and then fit the canister into my pack is going to be a SERIOUS challenge. You can see in my picture that I've successfully loaded only 1/2 of my food into the canister. Maybe I'll launch into the Sierras with screaming "eat your hearts out, bears!" and see how close they get to my overflowing pack.
You better not be laughing at my gaiter tan.

No, I'm sure it will all work out. As PCT hikers are prone to say: "the trail provides." and until now, I have experienced the truth in that. 

Thank you, Andy, Lindsey and Kerry for your recent letters, cards, and goodies. It means so much to me to have your words and be able to carry them along with me on my journey. 

Love to you all,

Dance Party

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got the letter! Next time I'll send goodies :). Enjoy the Sierras!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shoes! So glad to see they're keeping you comfy! You are incredible! Enjoy the change of scenery.
    XoXo - Jordan, Evan and Onya

    ReplyDelete